Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2004- Emma's story

May 26, 2004 was a warm day and Dougie, Emma and I were looking forward to spending the day at the pool. This was during my single mom days and I was trying to get both kids ready to go. Emma was dressed and was waiting downstairs while Dougie and I were upstairs. As I did often (and still do), I had praise music playing on the computer and had it turned loud enough to hear it throughout the house.
As Dougie and I headed down the stairs, Emma was standing at the bottom of the stairs and I will never forget the look on her sweet 6 year old face. It was a mixture of fear and excitement. She had her little hand on her chest and I immediately asked her, "what's wrong?" She looked at me wide-eyed and said, "I just asked Jesus into my heart!"
I took her in my arms and wanting to hear it in her own words, I asked her to tell me what happened. This is what she told me, " I was listening to the song and I knew in my heart that I had sinned. So I said, "God and Jesus, I'm sorry and I want you to come into my heart."

I know with all my heart that at the tender age of six, Emma had a life changing encounter with her Savior. She didn't need an adult to tell her how to surrender her life to Him, she just followed the leading of her heavenly Father.

Happy 5th 'birthday' Emma. My prayer is that you will always follow God's leading in your life.

I love you so much!
Momma

This is the song that was playing:

7 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Mindy said...

That is awesome Cheryl!!!! Happy birthday to your girl!!!

Pat said...

Oh My, those moments are so precious. I have experienced this with each child and each one is the best!!
Blessings,
Pat

Nana said...

I remember your mom sharing this with me when it happened. I remember those words so well. Then we had the honor of seeing her baptized by her now Step Dad. I knew then that God was going to put you two together.
Happy Spiritual birthday Emma.

Pastora Debbie said...

I was truly touched by this post and as i heard the song i just imagined your little girl receiving it and how awesome it is that Jesus was able to reach her six year old heart:):):)

Fran said...

We should NEVER tire of hearing the most beautiful thing to happen in the life of a child.

Happy belated birthday!!!
May God continue to bless that sweet girl.
Love,
Fran

Big Sister said...

Thanks to all of you!! It was a memory to hear that story again!!

Big Sister said...

P>S mom on your next post would you thank them all for me?? Thanks!! Emma