Thursday, October 22, 2009

Getting off the Dino Train......

*Update*
If you found this post as a result of a search engine search, please read this post, after you read the one below. Thanks for stopping by.

I usually don't use my blog to express controversial or political views and probably after you read this you'll think, "that's not really controversial, or a big deal." But to me it IS a big deal.

We generally love PBS Kids and the shows they produce but when they began advertising a new show called, Dinosaur Train, I was a little hesitant about letting Caleb watch it. I knew that their perspective on the age of the earth and dinosaurs would not line up with what we believe. Once the show aired, he watched it a couple of times but didn't really seem to care for it. So I didn't really think about it anymore.

Today, when I returned from taking Emma and Dougie to school, Steven, Asher and Caleb were on the couch watching tv(pbskids). I sat down with them and we were just all relaxing. When the show Caleb was watching went off, Dinosaur Train came on. I didn't really think anything about it so we all sat there and watched the show. The cartoon part of the show was cute and nothing was said that made me cringe. But at the end of the show a man comes on and says, "I'm a paleontologist...." And then he asks questions based on the show's topic. Today's topic was bipeds or dinosaurs that walk on 2 legs. The Paleontologist asked the question, "Can you name any animals that are bipeds?" Girl #1 answers, "kangaroos." Girl #2 answers, "humans." To which the paleontologist answers, "that's right!"

***Did you catch that?***

What animals are bipeds?

Humans.

The last time I checked humans didn't fall under the same scientific classification as animals.
Now you may be thinking, big deal, is your 3 year old really going to pick up on that? No, he probably wouldn't but it's subtle teachings like this that slowly begin to form a person's way of thinking (and obviously the evolutionist influence is attempting to start before he's even in school.) If I just let this slide, I won't have to worry about what he may learn in a science classroom because he'll already believe what most textbooks teach as fact anyway.

I want my children to know that:

they are created in the image of God, which is not the same as animals. Genesis 1:27
and
they are more valuable to God than even the animals He created. Matthew 6:26

So we turned the channel and found a different show to watch. It may not make a big difference but I'm going to do all that I can to protect my children. And as they grow up, I don't want to shield them from different perspectives but I want them to be able to learn a biblical worldview so they will "always be prepared to give an answer." 1 Peter 3:16

Something to ponder~

Why are we so quick to question a preacher and the word of God but we willingly accept whatever is printed in textbooks and taught in our children's classrooms?

I'm just sayin'........

7 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Melinda said...

You. Go. Girl.

Amen.

Thena said...

Your right to teach them now while they're young. My step-kids are 10 and 12, and the only time there in church is when they are here with us. Somehow their last visit we were talking about the solar system, so I innocently asked how did it get there. And they said the big bang. I said what, they said the explosion that put everything where it belonged. I told them ya'll need to go read your Bible. First couple of pages where it says God created the heavens and the earth. I was shocked to say the least.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheryl!! I saw the same episode!!! Ian LOVES that show and it erks me how they always compare whetever dinosaur they learned about to different animals living today - but when I heard them say humans I knew that would be the last time we watch that show too!!! Ian is not happy with me for deleting the show off the DVR - but I am the mom and that is my call! I agree with you 100%

Stacey Gaffney

jenmom said...

Yes Cheryl! It is a big deal! Thank you for being a mom who stands up for what is right and sound when it comes to what our kids are indoctrinated with! Sometimes I get discouraged and think I'm fighting for my kids all by myself. It sure is encouraging to know that I am not!
Jennifer

Laura said...

Chaz watched the very first one a seemed to really like it. After that he never really cared to watch it anymore. Guess that is God's hand of protection! We won't be riding that train anymore!

Anonymous said...

@JenMom: I think you're right to make sure that your kids are only indoctrinated with the things that YOU want instead of those that are supported by silly things like facts and science.

@Cheryl: "The last time I checked humans didn't fall under the same scientific classification as animals." What? What source did you check that last time? Humans ARE animals.

The only basis you have for your scientific knowledge is what the Bible tells you. The problem I (and a lot of other people) have with that is that it's self-confirming source. Scientific sources have to be confirmed by outside, independent sources. The Bible, on the other hand, is right because it's the Bible. Who said that the Bible is right? The Bible.

I know I'm shouting into the wind here, and I know that you'll likely delete my post as soon as you see that I'm questioning your views, but I just had to post.

Anonymous said...

"The last time I checked humans didn't fall under the same scientific classification as animals."

Humans ABSOLUTELY fall under the same scientific classification as animals. In fact, here it is:

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Primates

Family: Hominidae

Subfamily: Homininae

Tribe: Hominini

Genus: Homo

Species: H. sapiens

If you want to talk about something outside of science, like religion, that's a different matter. The Bible makes a huge distinction between the two. Science does not.

Teach your kids whatever you want to, but know the facts.