Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Another 1st....

When Emma started 3rd grade at the private school, which she still attends, we began hearing about "social" classes. I was completely uneducated about this but after asking around I found out that it didn't start until middle school. But I can honestly say that by the end of their 4th grade year, Emma and Landon had already committed to being social partners!

In 6th grade, they offer a manners class and at the end of the year, they have a formal dinner, where they get to put into practice everything they've learned.

But in 7th grade, you get to go to "social". Twice a month, you attend a class where you learn different dances, hence the need for a partner. In December, there is a Christmas dance but it's just your age group. Then there's a Father/Daughter dance in February. But in May, it's the grandaddy of them all, Spring Formal. And it's some 2000 students, from 7th grade up to 12th grade, from all over the Augusta area! Since this was our 1st time, we weren't really sure what to expect. We were blown away! It was so much fun! We were thrilled that my Mom & Dad drove down for this event. It really was nice having another female to oooohhh and ahhh over all the different dresses with me!

Before the dance~



Emma and her brothers, who stayed with friends, which I'm so grateful!
With Grandma & Paps right before going in.



The Grand March~ in my simple-mindedness, I thought they would just march around the outside of the floor. But no, they did this weaving in and out pattern, which really enhanced the dress watching! :)




The next few shots are of Emma dancing. From the blurriness of the photos, you will see that my camera stinks, or it could be my lack of skills but whatever.


And finally, a picture of Emma & Landon after the dance!



Here's a video of part of one of the dances. It was so neat seeing the whole group move!


Untitled from Cheryl A on Vimeo.

2 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Thena said...

Love the dress. Emma is a beautiful young lady.

Mindy said...

OH that looks like soooo much fun! Now, can I have Emma for the summer so she can teach my girls all the manners she's learned? =)