Monday, January 7, 2008

New Year's verse

Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart, I will glorify your name forever.
Psalm 86:11-12
These are the verses that God has chosen for me for 2008. I would like to elaborate on these verses and how I think God may use them in my life this year but it would be futile because I don't know how God is going to work. I do look forward to sharing with you in the weeks and months to come what God is doing in my life.
With that said, I'd like to share with you what I learned this morning in my quiet time. A few weeks ago, I read something on a "friend's" (we've never met but I feel like we're friends) blog. Her 4yr. old daughter said this prayer,
"Good morning God. This is your day. I am your child. Show me your way."
That simple prayer really spoke to me and I wrote it in the front of my prayer journal. I look at it almost everyday and this morning, as I was praying and asking God to show me His way for today, a quiet whisper told me to read Psalm 143. So turned in my Bible and began to read. As I began to read verse 8, I was reminded that God's word is alive and will speak into our very lives~
Let the morning bring to me word of your unfailing love
Good morning, God. This is your day
for I have put my trust in you,
I am your child
Show me the way I should go,
Show me your way.
for to you, I lift up my soul. Psalm 143:8

God used His word to show me that the prayer of a 4 year old child is exactly how He wants me to approach every single day. Every day, I have to surrender to God's will and not my own. It's not so much about living a Christian life, it's about living as a Christian today.

7 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Anonymous said...

Wow! How this prayer spoke to me also. So simple, yet so big. I need to be reminded of this everyday. Love you.

Mocha with Linda said...

That's great. So simple and so profound.

I see you love to read, as do I. Stop by my blog if you get a chance - I have a post on a fantastic book I just read!

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

That's really neat, Cheryl! Thanks for pointing me to that verse. I have asked all of Emma's teachers, and none claim to have taught her that. While I'm confident she didn't make it up (whoa, could you imagine?), I really have no idea where she learned it. But I'm so thankful she did. Great post - thanks for sharing your heart!

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

P.S. No we haven't met, but we're totally friends. :)

Tammy said...

Great post! In answer to your recent question, yes, I will be in Augusta for Winter Jam. Are you and Stephen coming???

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Cheryl,

I ABSOLUTELY Love that! Is it ok for me to "copy" that little prayer?

Sometimes the simpler (childlike faith) the prayer, the closer you get to hearing His heart.

I love the idea of a verse for the year...I have a life verse (as you saw in Mel's World), but the year verse gives you something to strive for, reach after, and grow towards as you get to be more like Him.

Love it!
Melissa

Kelly said...

They teach us so much, don't they?