Monday, August 11, 2008

Update, First of school and other stuff...

****UPDATED -SEE BELOW****

Thank y'all for praying my grandmother. I just got off the phone with my mom and she is doing much better. She will hopefully be put into a regular room this afternoon. Please keep praying!

Today is the first day of school for Emma and Dougie. Emma is going to 5th grade and Dougie is going to 2nd. They are very excited about the school year and they were even nervous on the way to school this morning!


Look how they've grown in a year's time! Thanks Deanna for the idea!

In between my trip to see GG and church yesterday, we have been watching the Olympics as much as possible. I was almost late to SS yesterday morning because I was watching the US Soccer team play the Netherlands. This is evidence that I LOVE the Olympics because I know nothing about soccer and probably never will!
If you didn't stay up to watch the men's 4x100 swimming relay, you missed and absolute AMAZING race. To add insult to injury, the French swimmers had been quoted saying before the event that, "we're going to smash the Americans, that's why we came." Even the commentators didn't think the USA would win.
Well, Team USA showed the French a little Proverbs 16:18!
Here's a video of the race, if you didn't get to see it.






So have you been watching the Olympics? What's your favorite event?

13 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Amy said...

Their pictures are too cute! I can't believe Emma is in 5th grade. It would be fun to get the kids together, sometime!

How were you able to write on your pictures? You have to teach me how to do that! I love how they turned out!

Mocha with Linda said...

Don't know how anyone in this country could have missed that relay - NBC has shown it so many times it has made us laugh! But we love it! It was such fun to watch when it happened.

We've got 2 more weeks before school starts here - packed with Youth Week, an anniversary, a birthday, and the Siesta Fiesta! Not much to do. . . .LOL

Susan and Lee said...

I want to know how to do the writing too. Their pictures are great. What beautiful kids. I love watching the swimming and gymnastics. I miss that swim last night against the French!

Nana said...

Cheryl, I fell in love with the Olympics when the girls were little and their dad worked at night. You watched scoccer, I watched the fencing. I watch every second I can. I saw the race and it was amazing, here's to you USA! The girls gymnastics are my very, very favorite.

Linda said...

That's a neat idea to post the pictures that way. My how they have grown in just a year. I didn't see the relay last night but my husband showed it to me today on the internet and I was screaming go, go, go and I knew the outcome. How exciting was that!
I am glad your grandmother is feeling better.
Blessings,
Linda

Pfingston said...

wow that is a cute idea!
I haven't been able to watch any olympic yet and am so drooling!!!

Jennifer said...

Aww, what amazing cousins I have- so handsome and beautiful! I hope they had a great first day!...I have watched the Olympics this year more than I ever have. My favorite events would have to be swimming first, gymnastics second, and volleyball third. Miss ya! P.S. thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! :)

Hollie said...

Your kids have grown up so much!! I just watched your zip line video!! That was great. We did that last November with our entire family and it was so fun!! Really scary at 1st. Have a great day.

The Carswells said...

It's amazing to compare the 2 pictures. You don't realize how much they grow year to year. I didn't know we both had 5th graders. Too bad ya'll don't live closer...we should get the kids together sometime.

Natalie said...

Hey Girl! I feel like it's been forever since I've chatted over here. It's been one busy summer, I know for you as well. Your babies don't look like babies any more. I know it's always a bitter/sweet time sending them off to school each year. I tear up thinking about it.

My fav event...I enjoy the swimming and gymnastics. I've come to enjoy watching the USA beach volleyball but can't get past how on this earth they can do anything with those tiny suits riding up in places we shouldn't see. Come on now...get some bigger uniforms. For all our sakes.

Amanda Jo said...

Oh yeah, we've been watchin! It's been AWESOME!!! I love the swimming, sand volleyball and gymnastics! My hubs is excited about track and field.

Your kids are so cute! Ethan starts pre school this year, I'm afraid I won't be able to compose myself. :)

BethAnne said...

Praying for your grandmother......Back to school already? ICK!!! Lake starts Friday......I really hate school and I am not even the one going....

Fran said...

Love love love the old and new pix.
Gosh..they have grown!!

Hope y'all are settling into routine. I'm worn out though. :)

I'm going to get caught up on your grandmother. Praying for her today.

Hugs,
Fran