Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year's Resolution

I checked my archives from last year and I explained this but most of you didn't read my blog back then, so I'll tell you again!
In 2004, I stopped making resolutions and instead asked God to give me a verse for the year. This idea came from the headmaster of the school where I was teaching at the time.
Here are my Resolution verses from the past years:
2004- Romans 12:2
2005- Isaiah 43:18-19
2006- Matthew 6:33
2007- Colossians 4:2
2008- Psalm 86:11-12
And really and truly, without realizing it, I began doing this in 2003. Because you see, 2003 was the year I went through my separation and divorce and I CLUNG to Jeremiah 29:11-13.
When I look back at these scriptures and the things that I faced during each of these years, it amazes me how God plants these scriptures in my heart to prepare me for whatever that year may hold!
I commit these verses to memory and last year, I even memorized Psalm 86:1-13. But I don't think I'll be able to memorize the chapter that contains this year's verse~

Direct my footsteps according to your word; let no sin rule over me. Psalm 119:133

I have some thoughts running through my head about why I think God may have chosen this verse for me but ultimately I think it's because He wants everything that I do to line up with His word. I'm looking forward to this journey!

Happy New Year!

6 thoughts from Y*O*U:

sara said...

I love that idea! I may have to borrow it. And that is a wonderful verse!

Jennifer said...

That's so cool! I read a blog just the other day about someone doing this. I'm praying for one too!

Amy said...

Thanks for that idea!

Fran said...

I'm so happy we are memorizing scripture over at the LPM blog. Its already bringing such life to me. Praise His Name and His amazing Word!!!

Love ya,
Fran

Nana said...

Cheryl, have I told you lately how proud I am of you and that I love you very much. Mardell (your second Mom)

God's girl said...

What a great idea!! I love that you have a verse for each year.

I just wanted to say hey! I am looking forward to meeting you in ATL!
Much love,
Angela