Monday, October 27, 2008

A Roller Coaster Ride.....

Today has been on of the most emotional days of my life. I had my first doctor's appt. this morning.***Let me interject before you judge me for being 14 weeks pregnant and just going today for my 1st appointment. I called my doctor in early Sept. to get an appointment and this was the FIRST available time! I was a little shocked myself but I got a prescription for my vitamins and didn't worry about it. It's not like this is my first rodeo!***
Back to today. Steven and I are in the room, the doctor comes in and asks some questions. "Have you experienced any bleeding? Any morning sickness? and so on to which I answer, "no, no, everything's been going great." She then does a physical exam. After the exam, she sits down and immediately starts telling me that "things don't look good." As soon as she said those words, my mind began reeling, so I'm not sure what she said next. I remember her saying, "no embryo sac" and "possible miscarriage." Of course I began crying, and she was very comforting. She wanted to do some blood work today and then wanted me to come back Wed. to do some more. She then asked, "Do you have any questions?" I must have given her a strange look because she said, "I realize that it's hard to think of questions at a time like this." I don't think I could have even told her my name at that moment much less form a question.
On the drive home, I would cry and then talk to Steven. He kept saying, "we just have to trust God." I knew it in my mind but I was in such shock, it din't even seem real. About half way home (my dr. is an hour away) my mind finally began thinking of questions. "Could the Dr. really tell that there wasn't an embryo sac just from a physical exam?" "Why didn't she do an ultrasound?" I decided that I would ask her these things on Wednesday. While we were driving and listening to a praise cd, one of my favorite songs came on. It was a reminder that no matter what I face, God will be there and will be exactly what I need.

As the song played, I just closed my eyes and said to the Lord, you are my strength, because I'm so weak. You are my portion, because I'm empty. You are my very present help because I am in need of so much! I could feel the sun shining on my face and I knew that the Lord was with me and that I wouldn't go through this alone.

About 5 o'clock, the phone rang, Steven had just walked outside with Caleb and I almost didn't answer it but then I did. It was my doctor. She asked me how I was doing, to which I said, I'm doing ok. Her next words were, "I think I'm going to have to eat some crow." She asked me if I realized that it was a year to the date when I had the miscarriage last fall? I told her I knew that it was around this time but no, I didn't realize that it was the exact date. She went on to tell me that before she came into the examination room today, she looked at my ultrasound. It was from this that she drew the conclusion that I was in the process of having a miscarrage. When my bloodwork came back this afternoon and the levels showed that I was pregnant, she immediately went to the ultrasound tech to look over the ultrasound. It was then that the tech told her that she hadn't done an unltrasound on me today and when they looked at the report it was dated October 27, 2007! She greatly apologized for her mistake and told me that from all indications (bloodwork and the physical exam) that I have a healthy pregnancy. I'm still going back on Wednesday for more bloodwork and a current ultasound. She kept apologizing and I assured her that I realized that it was just an honest mistake. As soon as I hung up the phone, I began sobbing, I was able to call Steven to come inside and when he came in, I could hardly speak. I finally was able to tell him the whole story and almost immediately our tears turned to laughter.

"We were like men who dreamed. Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with the songs of joy. The Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy."
Psalm 126:1b, 2a and 3


16 thoughts from Y*O*U:

Hollie said...

I'm so sorry Cheryl. Thanks for sharing. I'll be praying for you. let us know what happens on Wednesday.

Grays Matter said...

Wow, I can't even imagine. We love you guys and will be celebrating and praying with you.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Cheryl! CHERYL! Oh my word, friend! That's an incredible story. Your doctor must be so thankful for your grace in such a sticky situation.

I'm eager to hear an update on Wednesday. It will certainly be a whole different feel at that appointment, won't it?

WHEW! My heart's still pounding...

Hollie said...

Thanks for the message on FB!! I'm glad I checked back!! Great news:) I was sad last night when I read this but now I'm so happy for yall!!!!!!

BethAnne said...

O-H M-Y G-O-O-D-N-E-S-S!!!!

I cannot EVEN believe that happened to you!!!! I think she should never make you pay for a Dr's visit again!!! What is up with looking at the wrong ultrasound???!!!????

I am so glad that she was wrong.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. What a scary day. I'm so thankful that it turned out like it did. What a sweet blessing God gave you of His presence when things looked dark.

That is the scariest thing about being in health care and what stressed me out the most. When you work in any other field, mistakes are annoying or cost money or time. In health care, mistakes impact people's lives and emotions.

Looking forward to happy news on Wednesday!

Mindy said...

OH, Cheryl.....what a draining day. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well, though!

Do you still have to go on Wed. since everything is looking ok ?

Natalie said...

My dear, Cheryl!

I am so sorry that you went through this turn of events. I can't help but to be upset for you. I know people make mistakes but to make an accusation as serious as a miscarriage is pretty serious. I know I shouldn't be but that makes me mad.

Please keep me informed and know that I am praying for this pregancy, your health, and the growth of this precious baby...an no more misinformation.

Amy said...

Cheryl, I can't believe this happened to you. I'm so glad everything is okay. What a story!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

What a roller coaster! Crying happy tears for you today :)

Fran said...

Oh Cheryl..I'm crying. Just crying for so many reasons. You are completely in my prayers right now and tomorrow. Please tell us how things go. I can't even imagine the deep breath you took after you hung up the phone with her. Our hearts and love are with you.

Hugs,
Fran

TheDPGang said...

Cheryl ~ Oh my stars! I am so sorry that you had to go thru that but so happy about the outcome. You are in my thoughts & prayers.

Susan and Lee said...

Good grief Cheryl! I hate that you had to go through that, but glad it ended up with a happy result. I bet that doctor will be extra nice to you for a while. :)

Jenni said...

Just found your blog - I enjoyed reading.
Isn't it amazing how God can send the right song, or words at just the right time.
What a story to tell that little guy or girl one day.
God bless with your pregnancy.
I look forward to reading more.

Nana said...

Cheryl, I am late reading this because my computer has been down. Cheryl, Cheryl how my heart hurts because you had to go through this mistake, but my heart also rejoices that you and the baby are fine. "To God be the Glory, great thing He hath done."

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I can't imagine the emotions!! WOW. Did you want to shake the doctor???

Sorry I'm late getting here! Praying for you and your baby RIGHT NOW.